Sunday, March 8, 2020

Ascension - Into the Mountains by Joseph K. Perez

Sometimes life can just be overwhelming and the right piece of music comes along at the right time. As I open "Ascension" and allow the synth textures to roll over my ears I feel as if I have been bathed in a cascade of sonic waves that manage with the aid of my coffee to take me away from life and the far too busy hustle-n-bussle of it all. This piece is accompanied with a video of what I am assuming is drone footage of rock formations in the LasVegas, Nevada area. As far as marriage of visuals and sounds I think you find that this is a very good match. 

The track opens with the buzz of grainy synth textures much like the granular textures of the rock formations present in the video, but soon the sonic scene opens with bell textures and swirling sounds that almost seem to make you feel as if you have been pulled out of your chair and into the clouds. The cut has a laid back vibe that allows you to enjoy the scenery and escape your surroundings. This is the type of music that I would like to have in the background when I am trying to cleanse my musical pallet so that I can think clearly and not be weighted down by any over obtrusive socio/political ideas. The tones are crisp and refreshing. I get an impression of "New Age" and that's not bad, perhaps it is just me. I also get a very clean feeling. Walking away from the track I am ready to get work done and start my day even if it is 11:00pm at night. 

The only downside to this track (if there is one) is the percussion work. Now this is where I interject my opinion and that is in regards to the percussion sounds on the song. I like the placement, approach and construction. However, the mix of the these elements highlights the "metal work". I would have liked to have heard more "punch" from the low-end frequencies. Granted this would have changed the overall vibe and given it more gusto playing down the "chill vibe" on display. Personally with such grand landscapes on display with jagged edges that run in opposite direction of the smooth filming and camera holding I just thought that it would have helped accentuate that. But in full disclosure, I'm a rock guy. I like heavy drums.

I think everyone should listen to this track, but if you are into electronic music of a subdued nature you will especially appreciate this piece. Those that care for Top 40 type material probably won't find enough bells and whistles here to keep an ADHD mind interested, but there is a craft here on display that should be appreciated. 

Check out the video: https://www.skypixel.com/videos/ascension-into-the-mountains?utm_source=copied&utm_medium=PCWeb&utm_campaign=share&sp=0&fbclid=IwAR0ryjaUUbjXk8Njgj7GTYQiacnou_t24V6dBeVMxKCLEDe8koNaGjJKJAU


Michael Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment